Tuesday 19 February 2013

Step by Step.... Pinks?

As promised have been working on my flowers from life again this afternoon and have managed to get this step by step together. I still can't get into the habit of photographing everything in stages so do lose opportunities to share how I go about things... sorry all!!!

These are the flowers I have been working from but as you will see, I use lots of artistic license and the final study is nothing like really!!


I add a few random marks for the first flower head which I place in the focal area top right.

While it is still wet I drop in more water so that the paint and water mix and spread on the paper.

I add 2 more flower heads as again add water to let them mix on the paper so that all I have at this stage is a rather crude impression and a vague shape. I also try and do each head a slightly different shape and face a different direction to add a bit of variety and interest.

Here I have added a touch of yellow and blue to create the base of the flower and some of the stems and at this stage I don't worry about whether the flowers are dry as I don't mind the pink mixing with the greens and yellows

While the paint is still wet I wash away some of the edges..... I know this is going to dry quite a bit lighter and will help how my flowers sit in the bg. Now I let it dry.

I have tried to show a technique with this image which is a really good technique to learn and will help your work improve if you can get the hang of it. In the first image you can see I have added some think pink/red paint but as you can see it has dried with thick unattractive hard edges. I have added the paint in exactly the same way in the second image but have gone back in with clean water. The water dilutes the paint but if you tilt the paper in the direction you want the paint to flow you will get edges that are much finer and look far more like delicate flower petals. it is a good technique to use on stone and brickwork as well rather than adding straight hard lines. Practice this until you can get it looking right and it will really help the appearance of your work.

Before you all shout at me, yes this is a different piece as I had forgotton to photograph a couple of steps!! Here I started to use the technque I've described earlier and slowly begin to build up the petals. I do this fairly randomly as they are not uniformly placed and again adds to the variety.

You can see more clearly on this one as I have left the lines before I have added the water.


Back to the original    have called it a day with this but I could go back in a work on the flower heads a bit more yet and add a few more darks under the petals but for the time being, I think you can see the flowers have appeared and are giving the impression I want. Now it's a fine line between overworking and stopping...... better to stop and leave for a day and as I am beginning to learn, once you step back sometimes it becomes more obvious what, if anything, you need to do to add those very important finishing touches.

Hope this makes sense and you have enjoyed, but more importantly will give it a go yourselves and please do let me know if you need any help understanding anything.. I know what I mean but that doesn't mean all of you will!!!













11 comments:

  1. Great job Judith, I could see the pictures, but still can't read. It is such a bummer!!!!
    I hope your classes are going well - it is so generous of you to share your techniques. Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh am sorry t0 hear things aren't much better Susan... strange you should write on here as I had just checked fb to see if you were online.. will message you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent explanation Judith..need to try it!! when u writing your book???!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Val... it is in my mind and a few pages written... might do an e-book will keep you informed!!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Val, Judith. Thanks for sharing, will have a go over the weekend, ...but count us in for a copy of your future book...and don't forget to take those step by step photographs!
    Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike as I wrote to Val... it is in my head to do something... lots of things are in my head though!!! I really will try and remember the photos in future, I get really cross when I forget and something turns out really well!!

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing, Judith. Interesting step by step process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed Elena... am sure there are all sorts of ways to paint these flowers, this is just one!!

      Delete
  6. thanks heaps for your informative instructions they do help us beginners in getting our heads around the little tricks that make all the difference I just have to try to look at things through artist eyes, you can see AND then you can really really see Im trying hard to achieve the second type of seeing. All of your time and effort is not lost on me thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leona... we're all in the same boat I think... but the "seeing" does become easier for some subjects... the trick is to come up with a sort of formula for how to paint things..... I know how to do roses, hydrangeas, pinks, primroses am still working on and am now trying daffs. You can try two ways, first this more direct approach or second picking the flowers out of a loose bg. As you can see from my latest blog I am now trying to see buildings and streetscapes... the list is never ending!!

      Delete
  7. Look forward to your ebook Judith. Love the way you explain things. I'm glued to your site. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Would like to thank you all for taking the time to visit my blog, why not leave me a message then I know you've popped by!! If you have any enquiries please send me an e-mail to

judesfarnworth@hotmail.com